As mentioned previously, patience is not my thing. I suck at it. I get antsy and fidgety and just plain not happy, and in turn make everyone else around me wish they, in fact, weren't around me. Not cool, I know. I am working on it but I think it will likely always be a struggle for me.
So what am I impatient about currently? Funding. Funding for school. Funding for my future. Since the credit crunch, no private student loans are given in this country without a cosigner, so I am going to be solely dependent upon federal loans and scholarships in order to fund my graduate studies in the UK. To add to this dilemma is the fact that since I am studying outside the US, I am not eligible for all federal loans. Fun stuff.
Well, I filled out my lovely FAFSA back in February but because of the Health Care Reform Bill, the federal loan system in the US is being totally redone (logical, no?). Because of all this "redoing" of things, loans for the coming academic year are not being processed until July! Which means that yours truly has to do something at which she really sucks: waiting! Not to mention Birmingham's international postgraduate scholarships aren't processed until July also. Again, I wait!
Since the course of my life is dependent on what is decided by the federal government and the University of Birmingham, I am rather anxious with anticipation. If the money doesn't come through, I am not sure what I will do. I am trying to remain positive but I can't deny the thoughts of "what if?" have crossed my mind.
Another clincher in this whole thing is that I cannot even begin the visa process until I get my finances sorted. Apparently the British government doesn't want to admit any freeloaders. (Now if only the US had the same policy!) I would really love to get the whole visa thing done sooner then later as I have bad experience with ridiculously slow bureaucracies. (Maybe sometime I will tell you about my German residency permit fiasco. In short, I didn't exist for a while.)
Then there is the whole Copenhagen thing.... My brilliantly beautiful British Beau is a full fledged computer geek who will be attending, with his business partners, the annual Drupalcon in Copenhagen at the end of August. His partners will be bringing their families and as such, Dan invited me along as well. While school doesn't start until the end of September/beginning of October, the plan is for me to fly to England right before the Copenhagen trip and then spend that week in Copenhagen with Dan. Then when I come back to England, I will have a full month to get settled in Birmingham before school begins. Sounds perfect right? Catch is, if the money doesn't come soon, the visa doesn't come soon, and Anne-Margaret won't be able to leave as soon as she'd like and she may just throw an epic temper tantrum to mark the lovely occasion.
So here I sit...still a month away from knowing my fate. Will I get to go at all? Will I get to go in time to spend a week in a new place with the love of my life? Will a temper tantrum be called for?
Did I mention I suck at this whole patience thing?